Monday, July 8, 2013

Step 1: A Clean Kitchen

Remember college? It was cool to have a messy bed, clothes strewn about your bedroom floor and mac 'n' cheese for dinner. Veggies and fruit were replaced by beer, and the freshman 15 were to be expected and welcome to stick around for a few years. Ahh, I think I was in my organized prime in college.

Captain Chaos shares my innate tendencies for frat living. Sorry, fraternity. I'm always being corrected. His quarterly home office clean up is a weekend long-task resulting in an overflowing green waste bin filled with boxes and paper. His behavior is ever similar to the mid-term cram.

Anyway, as I said, it was all good back then but, we're well in to our 30s now, and life is getting too busy and is going too fast to be spending 10 minutes every morning hunting down my keys or battery drained cell phone. I require ORGANIZATION!!

So, where to start you ask? I cleaned my kitchen.

I'm going to be self-righteous for a moment and say that the mama is the heart of her family. She keeps a family moving forward with meal planning, cooking, cleaning, laundry, event planning, trip planning and tons of other stuff. For me, C.C. (short for Captain Chaos) is a really steller dad. He covers a lot of these duties, especially when I go rogue. If I were on my A game all the time, I believe, I would be the heart of our family and my kitchen would be the coronary arteries. I'm not a science girl, so I'll kill my big anatomy vocab now.

The kitchen is where food is stored, meals are prepared, served and enjoyed. It's the natural social gathering place for us when it's just the fam hanging out or when we have guests over. I decided that if I start my organizational journey with cleaning the kitchen, I would feel good about organizing other areas of my life too.

I decided that no matter how chaotic every other fasces of my life is, the kitchen always had to remain clean. Gotta start somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment